Sunday, September 8, 2013

Blog Assignment #3

Peer Editing

Before watching the two videos and slideshow on peer editing, I had no idea what the word peer editing meant, although once I thought about it and gained more knowledge from the videos, I realized the word is clearly self-explanatory. Peer editing means working with someone your own age to help improve, revise, and edit his or her writing. I really think that peer editing is a great idea if done the correct way, because some people may gain a better knowledge of understanding from someone their own age. It is very important that people view peer editing in a positive manner and take it as a learning experience rather than showing no interest or having a negative attitude.When peer editing fellow classmates or anyone, a person should always be respectful and remember to stay positive. It is always best to compliment your peers writing, tell them what you liked about their writing or what stuck out to you the most. I total agree with peer editing and I think it is very helpful for students who are becoming a teacher, because teachers will have to editing their own students writing, so peer editing is a great way to practice decision making skills to help better improve their students writing once they become teachers.
  If I had to make a suggestion on any of my classmates writings or blog post, I would rather make my comments privately through their email, even if it was just a grammatical or spelling error. The reason I would comment through their email is because for one, I do not think that it would be necessary to comment publicly on a student blog post criticizing them about any errors they have made on their writing, clearly it was a mistake that need to be corrected, and I feel the best way to do so is privately, therefore you would not have to worry about anyone getting up set or feeling embarrass. Another reason is because words are often misinterpreted, especially when you are not face to face,  so that person may not read your comment the exact way you intended them to.

2 comments:

  1. Jarvious,
    I think your post is very thoughtful and insightful. I too was unsure what peer editing really meant until the videos. I did see that there are a few corrections that could be made in your post. However, I will respect you and email you my suggestions. I disagree with you just a little on this one by keeping it private. If you are an educator, you will have to edit your students essay. You will be making the corrections directly on their paper that was turned in. Same goes with peer editing. It is not to make someone feel bad for their mistakes, but to help them to fix their mistakes and hopefully learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Javious, you should go back and provide a brief summary of each source you read/watched so your readers know what happened in them. You also have a lot of grammatical errors, so I highly suggest running your blog posts through a word processor (like Microsoft Word) to check for any misspellings or grammatical errors. Also, you need to provide links to your sources, as well as alt/title modifiers on the pictures!

    ReplyDelete